Thanks to Sundry Mourning.
1. What did you do in 2007 that youâ€™d never done before?
Completed a 5K, went on my dream trip to Scotland and England, recorded solo in a studio. One of the end products of that is here. I got to record a duet of my favorite song with another Loralee C. who lives in California. She has been a recording artist for years and she found me by Googling her name at 1 am. I adore her. She recorded her part there, I recorded my part here and it was edited together by a fantastic engineer she knows.
2. Did you keep your new yearâ€™s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Here they are with the results:
Improve my health:
SORTA I have put on 8-10 lbs of what I lost last year. I still drink too much Diet Coke and need to get back to the gym. However, I eat a lot less junk food than I did last year and still have 12 lbs lost from January 2007, so I am improved somewhat. More can be done and must be if I am going to squeeze my “Magical Boobies” back into this dress before “The Messiah” in March.
Run a race:
YES. I can’t believe it, but I and my muscle tone of headcheese managed to participate in a 5k for organ donation in April. It was fun and I was freaking proud of myself.
Have a baby:
NOPE. We are still hemming and hawing over this one. Sigh.
Get back into the â€œSingâ€ of things (Oh, that was awful of me, I know):
YUP. I have done quite a bit with the vocal folds this year. I don’t see it letting up any time soon. I have more recording in my future. When I go to BlogHer this year, I will finally be meeting “Thing Two” and there are plans to lay down some new tracks.
Pay off all credit card debt and get more secure financially:
SORTA. We still have credit card debt, but have paid much of it down, started 401k’s and are in a better place financially than we were last year. Still have a lot more we could do, though.
Get a car:
YES. Volkswagon Jetta Wagon, thanks. Although I was very grateful to have any vehicle after having two explode and die ON THE SAME DAY, I would say that this is a much better option than driving around in a station wagon that debuted the same year as E.T.
Draw up plans for our new house:
NO. As there wasn’t any movement or decision on the part of the city as to if a road is going through our land or not, there wasn’t any movement here.
Be more involved and proactive as a mother:
YES. I didn’t get everything done that I would have liked but I have put significantly more effort into my kids this year. It’s been nice. Some things are still a struggle (Like school) but it has been good for everybody.
Stop â€œSurvivingâ€ life and LIVE IT.
YES. I don’t know if this totally happened but compared to last year, I would say that yes. I did.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. I have another great-niece and great-nephew.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. I lost two beloved aunts this summer.
5. What countries did you visit?
Scotland and England.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I would like to have more satisfaction in personal areas in my life. I would also like to move into a different house.
7.What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 3rd. I found out that the first of my aunts passed away. The other would follow two weeks later.
September 12. Saw my first glimpse of Scotland from the air. My heart almost stopped.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
I had the most horrible audition known to mankind.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing significant, although there was about 3 weeks in November where I thought I was going to be suffocated and killed by rogue sinus mucous.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My sister, Linny. She handled cancer, radiation and my family with grace and strength.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
MINE. Remember the screaming, ranting, raving, psycho, meth”ish”, nipple flinging EXPLOSION that was me at my favorite gas station. It makes me want to weep with shame. Sigh.
14. Where did most of your money go?
See that little icon up in my url address bar? Yes, the winner would be Diet Coke. Although, since going ape shit postal at the gas station I would say that the amount that I spend on it has gone WAY down.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to the UK after dreaming about it since I was six years old. Finally getting solo time in a recording studio after doing many group projects.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
“For Good” from “Wicked: The Musical”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:? a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, Thinner and Richer.
18. What do you wish youâ€™d done more of?
Improving the things I suck at like: Cleaning, organizing, overseeing my kids schooling and just pulling myself together in and general “Type A” fashion. I am not good at “Type A”. I’m more of a “Type M” or even “Type Q” type of girl.
19. What do you wish youâ€™d done less of?
Living in my head. Living through my TV. Living through my computer.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my little family and friends. It was lovely.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Maintained the status quo.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
There are too many to name. I love TV. This would sadly have to do with #19.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didnâ€™t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. (ALWAYS my favorite. I reread it about once a year. I heart it so.)
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Regina Spektor, Mika, and Snow Patrol
26. What did you want and get?
I desperately wanted/needed to do something artistic. So…I girded up my loins and stuck fear in the back seat and auditioned for the Mezzo role in “The Messiah”. I got it. I worked very hard and kicked some tale. It was beyond healing to sing in front of an orchestra again.
27. What did you want and not get?
I really wanted a decision made about whether or not they will be putting a road through where my house is standing. We can’t move until they decide and we’ve been waiting FIVE DAMN YEARS. I’m about through with patience.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I loved the foreign film “The lives of others” and I loved “Stardust” and “Lars and the Real Girl”
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 this year. My birthday was really low-key because I went to Europe. I had a great lunch and went to the movies with friends.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Living in more than 1200 sq. feet and having more than one bathroom. Oh, and any kind of storage space would be lovely, thanks.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Side swept bangs, bold glasses and skimmers, layers.
32. What kept you sane?
My friends, blogs and being able to to talk to my computer in the wee hours of insomnia.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I started watching “Grey’s Anatomy” and feel head over heels for Denny. Sigh. I was also very fond of British cell phone salesman turned opera success, Paul Potts.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
How Mormonism is influencing the Presidential election.
35. Who did you miss?
Friends that cannot be here with me.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I met some really incredible people this year. I hope to meet even more this year. Hopefully at BlogHer 2008!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Going after dreams can be wonderful and frightening as hell. AND…Your life cannot stop just because your heart had been broken.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
From “For Good”
Who can say if I’ve been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better
And because I knew you…
Because I knew you…
Because I knew you…
I have been changed for good…