I have been double-tagged by Natasha and Martha to participate in “8 random things about me” meme. Since I didn’t really feel like trying to write a cohesive post about my day today, a meme suits my needs perfectly. I did tweak it to be more about the day I’m having than just random things about me, though.
1. I was going to get a car stereo that works for Mother’s Day, but Jonathan and I decided that since we are having to scrape together funds to go to my niece’s wedding and take the kiddies to Disneyland so quickly, we would forgo Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Jonathan’s birthday gifts. Jon did buy me 2,000 ladybugs to release. It was both sentimental and practical: Ladybugs remind me of Matthew and our snowball tree has an aphid problem. It was really sweet of him.
Christopher and James both made me the sweetest gifts at school. James gave me a paper tulip Christopher’s gift was a really cute bag of various photos and drawings from. Christopher has been the sweetest about this holiday. He has been telling me for weeks about how hard he worked on my gift. Last night he slept over at Grandma’s and he had her bring him home very early in the morning because “It’s Mother’s Day and my momma is probably missing me!”.
I think my favorite gift was from Christopher. It is a fill in the blank list of things about me. I have to share a few (I know, just suck it up and deal.)
My mother’s name is: Lorily
Her hair is styled: Down and long. It is soft and pretty and she looks like a princess.
I know she loves me: Because she is my momma and gives me adorable huggies and kissies.
She knows I love her: Because I do.
Her favorite place in the world to go is: To me.
My friend, Karen gave me a framed photo of my kids she took with her new camera and some action shots of them jumping on our trampoline. They rock. It was really sweet because while I have hundreds of photos on my computer, I rarely print them off.
2. Did you know that keeping your salt and sugar next to each other in similar Tupperware containers may not be the best idea? Otherwise you may get a really, really, REALLY hideous surprise when you start drinking your coffee. Especially when you put in 6 teaspoonfuls. BARF BARF BARF.
3. I purchased all of my plants for my garden and flower beds: Rosemary, thyme, cilantro, basil, parsley, peas, sweet peas, chrysanthemums, dahlias, marigolds, lavender, butterfly buttons, geraniums, impatiens, daisies, and a whole bunch more that I can’t remember off the top of my head, I’m going to plant them later today. I love gardening. I am not really great at it and don’t pull off elaborate things, but I love the smell of the earth and herbs and flowers mingling with cut grass and the smell of our fire pit in the summer. MMM… While I was at it, I bought my mom a creeping apple blossom plant for her Mother’s Day gift. She’ll love it.
4. I finally watched this week’s episode of “Lost” HOLY FREAKING MOO-COW!!!!!!!!!! Is all I can really say.
5. We’re eating at my in law’s house for lunch and I am bringing the main dish. It’s a porkroast with an Apricot/soy/rosemary glaze. I don’t really know why, but I make awesome pork roasts. I’ve never had one turn out anything other that spectacular. I wish I could say the same for my cookie-making ability, but hey, you take what you can get, right?
6. I am eating one of my favorite food obsessions right now: Dole Sliced Peaches. OMGOSH…HEAVEN!!!! My MIL turned me on to them and they are DIVINE. I prefer them to homemade bottled peaches which, if you knew me says a lot. I love keeping a couple of bottles in the fridge and eating them in the morning with toast.
7. Jonathan and I are having separate gatherings this evening. He is having friends over to watch the Jazz game in the playoffs, and I am having friends over to do anything BUT WATCH BASKETBALL.
8. Mother’s Day is a pretty bittersweet day. There are three times of the year that are extra hard…Christmas, September (The anniversary) and this next period is one I have come to call “The Triumvirate” in my head: Mother’s Day is followed by Memorial Day, which is followed by Bug’s Birthday on June 7th. This month still hurts and is hard, but it is getting easier. Last year I consciously decided to focus more on the joy he brought to our lives during this stretch of celebrations. I don’t want Mother’s Day and his birthday to just be about grief and loss. I loved him and he brought me such happiness so I’m trying to just focus on that. I’m going to go to the cemetery today to plant an orange flower and to tell my son I’m so glad I was his mom.
Since I tweaked this meme everyone is safe from being tagged.
Have a great day.